Comments are closed. Absence control must be a priorityOn 1 Jul 2000 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos. “Perhapsthe most useful tool is the return-to-work interview,” he said. “Ifevery absent employee is interviewed on their return, the message that theorganisation takes the subject seriously will soon become established andmanagers will gain vital information about the factors which influence thehealth of its employees.” Manyorganisations, he said, have not introduced even basic health risk controlmeasures, despite the fact that health risks are highly responsive tointervention programmes. A wellplanned healthcare programme goes beyond the “nice to have” for anorganisation, and has the potential to save more than it costs. Althoughill-health represents probably the most frequent loss within any organisation,health rarely tops the risk management league table, he said. “Thereis therefore enormous potential for achieving large savings through reasonablystraightforward risk reduction programmes,” he said. Adding he suspectedthat there was a tendency among many organisations to underestimate the realcost of sickness absence to the business, but by paying closer attention toabsence figures and establishing absence control as a management priority, theproblems could be reduced. “Thefact is that executives are already the healthiest employees in mostorganisations,” he said. “A more basic health screen, probably deliveredon-site and available to all employees can make a powerful impact on the healthof the workforce.” That wasthe verdict of John Humphrey, chairman of Marsh Health, who assessed the casefor pursuing employee health as a risk management priority. Corporatehealth services can make a difference to health risks and offer a genuine costbenefit, he added. For example, a health screening programme tailored toindividual’s need, not one that is a perk just for executives. Previous Article Next Article
The Christian bakery at the centre of the ‘gay cake’ row is to appeal against a discrimination ruling. Belfast county court ordered Ashers Baking Company to pay £500 in damages for “injury to feelings” following its refusal to bake a pro-gay marriage cake last year for would-be customer Gareth Lee.The Christian Institute, which backed the bakery and paid court costs, confirmed the McArthur family would be appealing the decision.The family told The Guardian: “After much careful and prayerful consideration given to legal advice, we have decided to appeal the judgment handed down last Tuesday. We continue to insist that we have done nothing wrong as we have discriminated against no individual, but rather acted according to what the Bible teaches regarding marriage.“As many other people have already noted, Christian beliefs seem to have been trampled over in this judgment and we believe this only has negative effects for our society. Our hope and prayer would be that an appeal will allow us and other Christians to live out their faith in Jesus Christ in every part of their lives, including their workplace.”The McArthurs’ religious beliefs were acknowledged prior to the ruling, but it was not seen as fair to refuse to bake the cake as the McArthurs conduct their business for a profit – it is not a religious organisation.Since the ruling Tesco, which stocks some Ashers products has said it will consider the judgement and Ashers itself has reduced its services.
As the fastest of three cars to crack 190 mph in the one and only NASCAR Nationwide Series practice at Michigan International Speedway on Friday, Austin Dillon will roll off last in Coors Light Pole Qualifying on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. ET on ESPN2. Dillon turned a lap at 190.789 mph, nearly half a mile an hour faster than his track record. Track Qualifying Record: Austin Dillon 06/16/12 37.8201 190.375 # Car Driver Team 1 15 * Carl Long RWR Ford 2 74 * Juan Carlos Blum # Oleofino’s Chevrolet 3 00 * Ken Butler III JW Demolition Toyota 4 52 * Joey Gase Donate Life Chevrolet 5 23 Scott Riggs(i) Rick Ware Racing Ford 6 14 Eric McClure Hefty/Reynolds Toyota 7 24 Blake Koch VIP Poker Toyota 8 46 * JJ Yeley(i) Curtis Key Plumbing Chevrolet 9 4 Landon Cassill Flex Seal Chevrolet 10 01 Mike Wallace Brooklyn Products International Chevrolet 11 42 * Josh Wise Curtis Key Plumbing Chevrolet 12 40 Reed Sorenson E-Swisher.com Chevrolet 13 51 Jeremy Clements Diamond Pistons Chevrolet 14 10 * Jeff Green TriStar Motorsports Toyota 15 87 Joe Nemechek AM/FM Energy Wood & Pellet Stoves Toyota 16 44 Cole Whitt Takagi Tankless Water Heaters Toyota 17 79 Jeffrey Earnhardt # Uponor Ford 18 19 Mike Bliss TriStar Motorsports Toyota 19 92 * Dexter Stacey # Maddie’s Place Ford 20 11 Elliott Sadler OneMain Financial Toyota 21 20 Brian Vickers Dollar General Toyota 22 16 * Chris Buescher Ford EcoBoost Ford 23 22 Joey Logano(i) Discount Tire Ford 24 70 Johanna Long Foretravel Chevrolet 25 43 Michael Annett Pilot Travel Centers Ford 26 30 Nelson Piquet Jr. # Worx Chevrolet 27 12 Sam Hornish Jr. Alliance Truck Parts Ford 28 6 Trevor Bayne Roush CleanTech Ford 29 7 Regan Smith TaxSlayer.com Chevrolet 30 54 Kyle Busch(i) Monster Energy Toyota 31 60 Travis Pastrana Roush Fenway Racing Ford 32 99 Alex Bowman # St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Toyota 33 32 Kyle Larson # Cessna Chevrolet 34 5 Brad Sweet Great Clips Chevrolet 35 77 Parker Kligerman Bandit Chippers Toyota 36 2 Brian Scott Shore Lodge Chevrolet 37 33 Paul Menard(i) Menards/Rheem Chevrolet 38 31 Justin Allgaier Brandt Chevrolet 39 3 Austin Dillon AdvoCare Chevrolet * Required to qualify on time, (i) Ineligible for driver points in this series Dillon’s fast lap earns right to roll off last in Coors Light Pole Qualifying
Advertisement Arsenal to make 55 redundancies but claim investing in the team remains ‘key priority’ Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 5 Aug 2020 2:38 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link667Shares View 5 comments Arsenal have announced their intention to make 55 club staff redundant (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have announced their intention to make 55 members of staff redundant as the club continues to count the cost of the coronavirus pandemic. Although the Gunners confirmed their place in the Europa League, a competition which could generate and extra £30million in revenue next season, by winning last Saturday’s FA Cup final against Chelsea they have been hit hard by a lack of matchday revenue. The overwhelming majority of the first team squad agreed to take a pay cut of up to 12.5% back in April, but with fixtures likely to be played behind close doors again come the start of the 2020/21 campaign the lack of matchday revenue forced the club into making cuts.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘In line with other football clubs and many other businesses operating in the sport, leisure and entertainment arena, we have been impacted directly by COVID-19,’ read a statement on the club’s official website.ADVERTISEMENT‘Our main sources of income have all reduced significantly. Revenue from broadcasters, matchday and commercial activities have all been hit severely and these impacts will continue into at least the forthcoming 2020/21 season. Arsenal will find it hard to find a take for Mesut Ozil who earns £350,000-a-week (Picture: Getty)‘These steps have all reduced the impact of the pandemic on the club and have helped us continue to maintain investment in the team. This will continue to be a key priority.’After last month’s win over Liverpool, manager Mikel Arteta implored the club’s board to hand him the funds that would help him to accelerate what remains a major rebuilding job.Last week’s Wembley win over Chelsea has only strengthened his hand and the club are reportedly working on deals to sign Willian from their west London rivals and Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona. More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalGabriel Magalhaes, Lille’s Brazilian centre-half, is another reported target, while the club hope to raise funds from the potential sales of Matteo Guendouzi, who hasn’t featured since a breach of discipline following a recent defeat against Brighton.AdvertisementAdvertisementFinding a taker for Mesut Ozil, who earns £350,000-a-week despite not playing a single minute over the course of Project Restart, will represent a near impossible task, however, with his agent recently claiming his client is willing to run down the remaining 12 months of his contract. MORE: Antoino Rudiger claims Chelsea will miss Arsenal transfer target Willian if he leavesMORE: Barcelona ramping up transfer talks with Arsenal over Philippe CoutinhoFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Arsenal are pressing ahead with plans to sign Willian despite their financial plight (Picture: Getty)‘The pandemic represents one of the most challenging periods in our 134-year history and we have responded promptly by implementing wide-ranging measures to reduce our costs. Our players, senior football staff and executive team have volunteered pay cuts, we have stopped pretty much all of our capital spending, and our discretionary operating expenditure has been strictly controlled.‘We have also received significant financial support from our owners, Kroenke, Sports & Entertainment in terms of refinancing our stadium debt.‘Our aim has been to protect the jobs and base salaries of our people for as long as we possibly can. Unfortunately, we have now come to the point where we are proposing 55 redundancies.‘We do not make these proposals lightly and have looked at every aspect of the club and our expenditure before reaching this point. We are now entering the required 30-day consultation period on these proposals.’Despite the impending job losses, Arsenal were at pains to stress that investing in and adding to the current squad remains a ‘key priority’. ‘We have also received significant financial support from our owners, Kroenke, Sports & Entertainment in terms of refinancing our stadium debt,’ the statement added. Advertisement
CAF CONFEDERATION CUP Pinnick commends Ikpeazu, Monimichelle over Aba StadiumDuro IkhazuagbeChairman of Enyimba FC, Felix Anyasi-Agwu, Thursday attributed the qualification of the Aba team for the quarter final of this year’s CAF Confederation Cup to hard work. Enyimba Wasiu Alalade Speaking with THISDAY, several hours after the People’s Elephant snatched an added time lone goal victory against Congo’s CARA Brazzaville at the newly refurbished Aba Stadium on Wednesday night, Anyasi-Agwu insisted that Enyimba didn’t play like a team whose league has been on recess long before the World Cup in Russia.“We knew the opposition we were going to face in the CAF Confederation Cup and so had to ensure that our players were engaged meaningfully all through the period before the NPFL returns.“Enyimba didn’t feel the absence of the league because of our good preparation. We knew the opposition to expect and used friendly matches to put our players in shape,” observed the club chairman ho is also a board member of the NFF.Despite the boast by Anyasi-Awgu that he had the premonition of Enyimba’s victory, the Aba Elephant chief executive was worried that the lightings of the refurbished arena could make his wards miss progress into the knockout stage of the second tier best competition in the continent.“As you are aware, the stadium has just been refurbished, the flood lights have not been fully installed as the contractor handling the project took deliveries of the lights from Europe this week. They were been transported from Lagos to Aba here. What we had for the match was a temporary arrangement. We did not want anything to happen to the light to warrant any force majoure,” recalled Anyasi-Agwu.But the visitors from Congo who knew that a draw was good enough to see them through to the quarterfinals sat back and soaked all the pressure from Enyimba forward and did occasional foray into Thomas Afelokhai’s goal area.CARA players were certain that so long as Ivory Coast club Williamsville did not get a win against Mali’s Djoliba in Abidjan, the Congolese were ready to play in the dark to ensure they progress to the next round.However, substitute Wasiu Alalade latched on an Andrew Abalogu rebound free kick to grab the game-deciding goal.And of course, Aba fans who have been starved of quality football since Enyimba began playing home matches ‘away’ in Calabar and Port Harcourt, there was no better ways to show their love for their darling team but to dance Shaku Shaku away long into the night after the final whistle. And of course, the Congolese were not left out of the celebration as the game in Abidjan ended in a draw. That ensured that they finished the Group C as runners up going into the quarterfinals.The contractor handling the project arrived Aba Thursday with the floodlights and is expected to complete the installation next week.Enyimba is not expected to return for the next stage until in a fortnight by which the lights would have been installed, tested and certified okay for night games.Speaking on the feat in Aba, President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Melvin Pinnick praised the never-say-die spirit of Enyimba FC in getting the last-gasp winner against CARA Brazzaville.“I commend the spirit of Enyimba FC, the way they approached the game and their determination not to give up even after being unable to make hay from several opportunities. They gave joy to the government and the good people of Abia State in particular, and football enthusiasts in Nigeria as a whole, and they deserve our applause.“They showed through their approach, and on the evidence of their win in Bamako on Match-day 5, that they are capable of going all the way. I urge them to take each match in the knockout stages one after the other, and go all the way to make Nigeria proud.”Pinnick, also the 1st Vice President of CAF, watched the very interesting encounter from the State Box at the eye-catching Enyimba International Stadium, and thanked the Government of Abia State for renovating the facility to true international standard.“The Government of Abia State has done very well for the youth of the State, and the NFF is using this opportunity to call on other State Governments who don’t have facilities like this to consider investing in such for the benefit of the youth of this country.”The NFF boss also gave kudos to the contractor that handled the Enyimba project, Monimichelle for doing a good job.“With what Monimichelle, an indigenous firm has done here in Aba, there is hope for our country. The pitch is a good advertisement for Nigerian football and it shows that Nigerians have the expertise to do a good job.”Two –time CAF Champions League winners Enyimba FC is the only Nigerian club side left in the hunt for continental honour this season. The Draw for the quarter finals will be held at the CAF headquarters in Cairo next Monday.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
7 Sep 2017 Juniors in focus at Bridgestone Challenge Tags: Bridgestone Challenge, Juniors Former England player Luke Johnson shot sub-par 70 in the first round of the Bridgestone Challenge at Luton Hoo – and then walked straight on to the range to take a junior clinic. Johnson spent around an hour with pupils from The Oratory School, near Reading, and joked: “These boys are a lot more intelligent than me so I would definitely say get your grades first!” If they apply themselves to their lessons as well as they did to their golf clinic they’ll all be A* pupils. Their attention was fully focussed on Johnson’s advice and they were quick to respond to his challenges and tips. Johnson, 25, is an enthusiastic supporter of junior golf and is involved in charity events at his club, King’s Lynn in Norfolk. He’s keen to give back in return for his own experiences coming through the England squad system and he says: “This is our game, if the youngsters aren’t coming through we are not going to grow the game as much as we want to.” The schoolboys, aged 14 and 15, spent a day at the Bridgestone Challenge, which is the first PGA European Challenge Tour to use a modified stableford scoring system with the emphasis on making birdies and eagles. They watched play and visited Bridgestone’s Olympic Games Dome to sample its range of interactive fun, which promises to be a huge hit with families at the weekend. Then, they moved to the range to meet up with Johnson. The Oratory is a boys’ boarding school with a nine-hole course on its campus, weekly lessons from a visiting PGA professional and a pupil membership at Reading Golf Club. The boys who visited the Bridgestone Challenge included recreational golfers like Shawn Lutta, 14, who wanted to find out more about the sport and watch the professionals tackle the course; and Masa Moriyama, also 14, who was a big fan of the Dome. Harry Page, 15, is a serious player, having got down to seven handicap since taking up golf 18 months ago and is the Reading junior champion. He became interested after watching online videos, had his first go with some old clubs in his garage and gleans most of his instruction from YouTube. However, today’s experience was described as “Cool!” Another 14-year-old, scratch golfer Ivan Vishnyakov, was in his element, explaining “I just love going to the driving range.” Click here for more information on the Bridgestone Challenge, which continues until Sunday. Entry is free and spectators can register to receive vouchers to the value of £200, including a free round of golf at Luton Hoo Golf Club. Either click here to register in advance or register at the event. Captions: Luke Johnson makes a point at his junior clinic (top); pictured with young golfers from The Oratory School (below). Images copyright Leaderboard Photography.