Maple Leaf moves to add value in UK

first_imgMaple Leaf Bakery UK has bought the French Croissant Company (FCC) and Avance (UK) as it expands its operations.The deal, which completed on Monday, gives it a total of six sites in the UK and will allow it to develop its UK bakery business, deputy MD Guy Hall told British Baker.FCC is the largest UK croissant producer and its sister company Avance (UK) is a flavoured bread and long-life bread products supplier.The two companies have combined sales of around £40m and employ around 370 people at bakeries in Park Royal, London and Maidstone, Kent. Both were part of the Primebake group, owned by John Lister.Hall commented: “These businesses were a good strategic fit, with good added-value products and fit with our ambitions for expansion in the UK.”Current management teams will be retained at the new sites, he said, and no relocations or job losses are planned.Hall said Maple Leaf will continue to look for opportunities to expand in the UK.The company, part of Canadian giant Maple Leaf Foods, is currently best known for producing New York Bagel Company-branded bagels in the UK.Hall commented: “We are always looking, you never know when a good opportunity comes up.”Maple Leaf also acquired the former Harvestime bakery in Walsall this March. It was pleased with its progress in the in-store bakery and speciality areas, Hall said.last_img read more

3 UCLA basketball players suspended after theft in China

first_imgQC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Makabayan bloc: Duterte suspension order on rice importation only a ‘media stunt’ PLAY LIST 02:46Makabayan bloc: Duterte suspension order on rice importation only a ‘media stunt’00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games “I’ve learned my lesson from this big mistake and I’m a hundred percent sure I’ll never make a mistake like this again. It’s going to make me a better person from here on out.”When it was his turn, Hill said, “I’m sorry for shoplifting. What I did was stupid. I don’t want to be known for this dumb mistake.”“I hope you can forgive my stupid, childish actions,” he added.Riley was the first to speak and he thanked the Pac-12 Conference, several UCLA administrators and his teammates.“You guys mean so much to me,” Riley said of his teammates. “I’m sorry for letting you down.”Athletic director Dan Guerrero also spoke at the news conference, but no one took questions from a large group of media.ADVERTISEMENT Alford didn’t specify what the indefinite suspensions mean, saying only that the three players would have to earn their way back onto the team.He said at some point, the trio may be permitted to join team workouts, meetings and practices, but that timeline has yet to be decided.“We will come to a resolution in short order,” Guerrero said.Earlier Wednesday, Trump tweeted: “Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!”All three players did.“I’d like to thank President Trump and the United States government for the help that they provided us as well,” Ball said.The players were detained in Hangzhou for questioning following allegations of shoplifting last week before the Bruins beat Georgia Tech in their season-opening game in Shanghai. The rest of the UCLA team returned home Saturday.Guerrero said the incident occurred when the team was given 90 minutes of free time on Nov. 6 in Hangzhou.“Those three visited several stores, took items from three stores and returned to the hotel,” he said, without revealing the items taken or their value.The next day, Guerrero said, police arrived at the hotel shared by UCLA and Georgia Tech and interviewed both teams in an attempt to identify the culprits. Police searched the players’ personal belongings and the team bus before identifying Ball, Hill and Riley, he said. Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH No one from Georgia Tech was implicated.Guerrero said the UCLA trio was taken to a police station for questioning, and Alford arrived later, along with basketball administrator Chris Carlson. Guerrero found out while flying to Shanghai.After being arrested, the players remained in custody for questioning and were released on $2,220 bail on Nov. 8. Guerrero said they had to give up their passports and agree to travel restrictions.Upon their release, they remained in a hotel at UCLA’s insistence, not the local police’s, with Carlson and another administrator supervising them, Guerrero said.He said the bail money was refunded by police. Once the charges were withdrawn, the trio acknowledged breaking the law, he said.Guerrero said UCLA provided the resources to help the players and the university is working to see who is responsible for costs and any NCAA implications.Police told the players they could leave the country on Tuesday and they boarded a plane later that day.Guerrero said Alford reminded his team of the expectations for good behavior before they left on the tripand while they were in China.UCLA traveled to China as part of the Pac-12’s global initiative that seeks to popularize the league’s athletic programs and universities overseas. The China Game is in its third year, and while the scandal was developing the league announced that California and Yale will play in next year’s edition.The No. 23 Bruins host Central Arkansas in their home opener on Wednesday night. Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 View comments Serena Williams set to wed in New Orleans — reportscenter_img Flanked by teammates Cody Riley, left, and Jalen Hill, UCLA basketball player LiAngelo Ball reads his statement during a news conference at UCLA Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017, in Los Angeles. The three players were detained in Hangzhou following allegations of shoplifting last week before a game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)LOS ANGELES — Three UCLA basketball players detained for shoplifting at three high-end stores in China publicly apologized Wednesday before coach Steve Alford announced they were being suspended indefinitely.Freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley won’t be allowed to suit up, practice or travel with the team while the university continues to sort out the circumstances of last week’s incident in Hangzhou, China, Alford said during a news conference at Pauley Pavilion.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Read Next LATEST STORIES Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa “These are good young men who have exercised an inexcusable lapse of judgment and now they have to live with that,” Alford said. “They let a lot people down in the process.”“I’m confident that they have already begun to use this experience as a life lesson,” he added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBall, Hill and Riley took turns confessing to the theft and apologizing while also thanking President Donald Trump for intervening on their behalf with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. The players had returned to Los Angeles on Tuesday after Chinese authorities withdrew the charges against them.“I’m sorry for stealing from the stores in China,” said Ball, the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, who played last season at UCLA.last_img read more

Ross, SMB guards outplay Star counterparts in Game 2

first_imgWhat ‘missteps’? World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ The Beermen failed to sustain their hot start and lost a 16-point lead early in the third period, 46-30, as the Hotshots pulled ahead, 60-58.That continued in the fourth quarter, where San Miguel was scoreless in the final 3:42 but was fortunate enough to overcome Star after Paul Lee muffed a potential game-winning floater in the waning seconds.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutRoss took responsibility of his team’s poor showing in the third period, where the Hotshots outscored the Beermen, 30-14.“It was kind of on me as the point guard and as the leader that we came out like that in the third quarter. They’re a good team and I think they won eight straight, so we knew they would fight back, but we were able to right the ship and were able to weather the storm,” he said. After two games, Ross also shared that he’s enjoying the backcourt duel with him, Alex Cabagnot and Marcio Lassiter going up against Star’s slew of guards in Lee, Mark Barroca, Jio Jalalon, Peter June Simon, and Justin Melton.“We’re a guard-oriented team also. We have really good guards, and we have really good bigs, so we’re well-rounded. Them with Ricardo (Ratliffe) gives them a new element, and he almost had 40 rebounds today so he plugs the middle for them and makes them a complete team,” he said.Ross admits Game 1 was an eye-opener for the Beermen’s guard trio, and they all felt that it’s up to them to tilt the favor to their side if they want to come out victorious in the series.“After the last game, me, Marcio, and Alex felt that if we play better, we would win,” he said.And true to Ross’ word, they did.ADVERTISEMENT View comments PBA IMAGESChris Ross has no qualms with San Miguel winning by the slightest of margin, 77-76, in Game 2 of the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup semifinals against Star on Monday.“That’s what the playoffs is all about, right? Win by any means, ugly win, big win, it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Ross said.ADVERTISEMENT 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES Ross did it all with 10 points, four assists, three rebounds, three blocks, and two steals, Cabagnot went for 10 markers, seven boards, and three dimes, while Lassiter shot 3-of-6 from threes to wind up with 11 points, five rebounds, four assists, and a steal.“We really took the challenge and we all played better than we did last game, and today, we ended up getting the win,” said the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.San Miguel and Star break the 1-1 stalemate on Wednesday in Game 3 at Smart Araneta Coliseum.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage Austria challenges SMB import Rhodes: ‘Ratliffe is the best import right now’ Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READlast_img read more

Ohio House Of Representatives Member Bill Patmon Wrote Cardale Jones A Personal Letter, Called Him “12 Gauge”

first_imgOhio representative Bill Patmon's letter to Cardale Jones.Ohio State’s Cardale Jones accomplished a great deal in 2014-2015, ascending from a third-string signal-caller to the starting quarterback for a team that won the Big Ten title, the Sugar Bowl and the College Football National Championship Game behind his leadership. It looks like he can add one more accolade to his repertoire too – an official congratulatory letter from Ohio House of Representatives member Bill Patmon.Patmon wrote to Jones, and used the QB’s nickname “12 Gauge” in the header, to congratulate him on his accomplishments. Jones posted a photo of the letter on Twitter.Cardale “12Gauge” Jones pic.twitter.com/ErDzXLqV6A— Cardale Jones (@CJ12_) February 23, 2015Ironically, it’s not even a sure bet that Jones will be starting for the Buckeyes in 2015. There’s no word on whether Patmon also wrote to J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller.last_img read more

Ohio State field hockey falls to No 7 Massachusetts and No 6

Then-senior Berta Queralt (18) battles for the ball during a game against Penn State Oct. 19, 2012, at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU lost, 3-0.Credit: Courtesy of FacebookThe Ohio State field hockey team struggled as it finished a road trip to Syracuse, N.Y., with an 0-2 record.The Buckeyes fell short to No. 7 Massachusetts Saturday and then again Sunday to No. 6 Syracuse. Both games ended with a score of 1-0. Although the team came out on the losing end in both games, OSU coach Anne Wilkinson said it was not due to their efforts.“We played great field hockey overall,” Wilkinson said. “We just couldn’t put the ball in the net.”Both games were scoreless in the first half, but the Buckeyes gave up a single second half goal in each, falling to 2-4 on the year.During Sunday’s match, junior goalkeeper Sarah Lemieux had eight saves against Syracuse. After back-to-back saves by Lemieux, Syracuse was able to score on a penalty corner with just over four minutes to go in the game.Wilkinson said she was impressed with her goalkeeper, but wishes the team could have taken advantage of the defense it played.“I think we had great defense,” Wilkinson said. “Sarah (Lemieux) had a lot of great saves during crucial times.”Lemieux said the defense as whole played well, despite the losses.“I thought we played solid defense the whole weekend. We made huge efforts to tackle to ball and stop them from scoring.”In Saturday’s match UMass outshot the Buckeyes 10-8. OSU had more opportunities with the penalty corners, 6-5, but could not capitalize on them to finish the game.The match against Syracuse was much more one-sided, despite the Orange failing to open the scoring until the 66th minute. The home side out shot the Buckeyes 20-6, including 9 shots on goal.Sophomore midfield Emma Royce provided the best chance in the first half for the Buckeyes but was denied by the Syracuse sophomore goalkeeper Jess Jecko.OSU is set to take on Miami(Ohio) Wednesday in Oxford at 5:30 p.m. read more

Leonardo talks about Paqueta Ibrahimovic and more

first_imgThe AC Milan technical director won the 2019 Liedholm Award and spoke about the future of signings for his teamAC Milan’s technical director Leonardo received the 2019 Liedholm Award today, and he used his time with reporters to talk about the future of signings for his team.“There is not much to say. We have a basic agreement with Flamengo, but transfer market reopens in January: so we still have a little way to go before the deal becomes official,” he said about Brazilian Paqueta according to Calcio Mercato.“Now we have to think only of the Serie A and the Europa League, not the market. What kind of player is he? At the moment, he is a Flamengo player: he still has to play some Brazilian league matches. We have to wait for January 3rd.”Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusSerie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….As per the rumors putting Zlatan Ibrahimovic in AC Milan, he said:“It’s normal that there is also connection not only professional but even personal with him. When we arrived at Milan, we had a little thought about taking him, even at the age of 37 he is a dragger.”“Today the transfer window is closed. We have to do things calmly, we must not forget that there are some financial fair play stakes. We want to build a competitive team,” he added.last_img read more

Sarri plans to make changes

first_imgChelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has revealed he plans to make changes to his team selection ahead of the team’s trip to Turf Moor.The Blues face Burnley away from home on Sunday as they look to maintain their title challenge this season, after an impressive start to this season’s Premier League campaign.According to Sarri, there is likely to be further rotation for the game against Burnley, given the lack of recovery time following the match against BATE Borisov.“I think we need to change six or seven players for Sunday,” he said, according to the club’s official website.Maurizio Sarri, JuventusMaurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“It’s very difficult in England to play in Europe. In the Champions League, Liverpool had to play against Napoli after two matches against Chelsea.”“Man United had to play against Juventus three days after the match against us at Stamford Bridge. We have to play 65 hours after the BATE match, so it’s very difficult for an English team to be competitive in Europe.”“I think the game against Burnley will be very difficult because last season I saw a lot of Burnley’s home matches and so I know very well it will be a difficult match, especially there.”last_img read more