Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A former foster parent from Ridge has been acquitted of sexually abusing seven of the more than 100 children placed in his home over a 20-year span.A Suffolk County jury found Cesar Gonzales-Mugabura not guilty Tuesday of charges in a 16-count indictment, including predatory sexual assault, criminal sex act and child endangerment.“We are extremely disappointed with the Mugaburu verdict,” District Attorney Thomas Spota said. “We will continue to pursue justice in cases involving the sexual abuse of children, which often means pursuing cases based upon the information from the victim of the abuse sometimes years after the crimes when limited corroborative evidence is still available. For those discouraged by this outcome, it is important to guard against any chilling effect that might result; especially a reluctance to report abuse.”Prosecutors had said the 61-year-old man sexually abused boys placed in his care by several nonprofit agencies. The defense argued that the boys lied about the abuse.Shortly before the trial began a Suffolk grand jury issued an investigative report blasting agencies within the foster care system for failing to protect the boys in his care.Gonzales-Mugabura had been held at Suffolk jail since his arrest last year. He had faced up to 25 years in prison, had he been convicted.
According to a survey conducted by the European Commission on the provision of accommodation for tourists based on the sharing economy, service providers are mostly satisfied with the rental system.They most often reach guests through online platforms (70,3%), and cite bureaucracy and frequent changes in the rules governing their business as the biggest obstacles that could lead to the cessation of service provision. The majority of short-term accommodation service providers, 56,36% of them to be precise, confirmed that they use their primary residence in which they reside continuously or secondary residence, in which they reside on a temporary basis, for the needs of the activity. For more than two-thirds of respondents, income from short-term accommodation activities accounts for less than half of their total annual income.In terms of guest relations, the majority of respondents (51,4%) confirmed that they did not experience problems during the rental process, while the majority of the rest of the respondents said that the problems were mostly simple in nature and easily solvable. When commenting on the rules governing the provision of short-term accommodation, respondents ’responses differed with respect to the country of origin. Respondents from countries that reacted negatively to the rules, such as Italy, Germany, Spain and France, highlighted tax regulations as particularly problematic.Despite some difficulties, based on the key results of the survey and based on the explanations of the respondents, short-term accommodation providers within the sharing economy are generally satisfied with their activity and intend to continue to provide this type of service. The vast majority of them (70,3%) confirmed that they use online platforms almost exclusively to reach guests.An online survey was conducted from January 24 to March 14, 2017 on a sample of 391 short-term accommodation providers to gain a better understanding of the sharing economy and its main features within the short-term accommodation provider sector. The survey was not conducted on the basis of a representative sample, but represents a basic insight into the situation on the short-term accommodation market with regard to the experiences of service providers. As early as 2016, the European Commission analyzed the attitudes of users within the sharing economy, as part of activities aimed at gaining insight that can then be used in the process of adapting consumer and marketing regulations.Source: HGK