Daniel Sturridge claims he is “fit and ready to go” ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Manchester City in the Barclays Premier League tomorrow. Sturridge, who is yet to play under new boss Jurgen Klopp after he suffered a knee injury before Liverpool’s match against Tottenham on October 17, returned to training at Melwood this week. Now the England international says he is ready to return to action and put his numerous injury problems behind him under the new Liverpool manager. “I’m fit and ready to go and it’s going to be a great time for me,” said Sturridge. “It’s been great under the new manager. I’ve been back training for the past couple of days and I was training when he first arrived. “It’s an exciting time to be at the club and I’m enjoying working with him and the style of football. It’s important for us to understand what he wants us to do.” Sturridge says he is encouraged by what he has seen under the new manager but admits recent results throughout the division show how competitive the Premier League is. “I was on the outside but it was great to see the boys win at Chelsea,” he said. “We had a disappointing result last time out against Palace but it’s important to move on. “The Premier League is the best league in the world in terms of competitiveness. There are teams up there this season you wouldn’t have expected. “It’s up for grabs this season, there isn’t a real favourite. It will come down to who can be the most consistent.”
LONDON (AP):IAAF President Sebastian Coe’s former right-hand man was expelled from athletics’ governing body yesterday after admitting to concealing cash payments during the scandal-plagued previous administration. But Nick Davies was cleared of corruption and allowed to continue working in athletics and at IAAF events.The senior IAAF official was found to have misled investigators from the World Anti-Doping Agency, French judicial authorities and the IAAF over the €30,000 received ahead of the 2013 World Championships.The payments from then-president Lamine Diack came via his son Papa Massata Diack, a former marketing consultant at the IAAF, who was last year banned for life from the sport in a bribery and extortion case involving Russian doping. Both father and son are being investigated by French prosecutors on corruption charges linked to cover-ups of Russian doping cases.Davies served as communications director and deputy secretary general under Diack and, after Coe’s election in 2015, was promoted to director of the president’s office. The IAAF ethics panel accepted that Davies did not act corruptly and was not part of a cover-up of Russian doping cases but did criticise him for deceiving the probe.Davies “only admitted to his lie” about the payments after being forced to hand over bank statements, the IAAF said.Davies told ethics investigators €25,000 were provided by Diack as “extra funds which should be used at my discretion to improve the media mood” before and during World Championships in Moscow. Davies said he only spent a “fraction” of the cash because there was no major crisis at the event and kept the balance. Another envelope of €5,000 was described as a bonus from Diack to “recognise my attitude and good work”.”We were accustomed to receiving cash at the IAAF … I did not believe that there could be any sinister motives behind these payments,” Davies told investigators.The ethics board said Davies can still seek work “elsewhere in the sport” and be involved in IAAF events in “any new capacity”.Davies’ wife, Jane Boulter-Davies, who also worked at the IAAF, admitted to misleading the IAAF ethics board over the payment received by her husband.Boulter-Davies was provisionally suspended from the IAAF in 2016 and the six-month ban imposed yesterday was backdated so she is free to resume her work in the competitions department.The IAAF said Boulter-Davies will be back at work today along with Pierre-Yves Garnier, a senior medical and scientific manager, who failed to fully cooperate with the investigation into his payment of €10,000. Garnier was given a backdated three-month ban after the IAAF ethics board found that his conduct was not corrupt.
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Shola Alvarez had 12 points for Tacloban. Ivan Ruiz L. SuingSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Generika-Ayala turns back UA-UP to kick off PSL bid Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees The Lady Warriors finished with a 4-1 card in the quarterfinals but with two other teams still vying for the semifinals berth, they could only secure at least a playoff for the next round.An 11-3 run in the middle of the third set before Amporn Hyapha’s attack error completed the sweep for Pocari Sweat-Air Force.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“Even with the win, we don’t know if we will qualify outright to the semifinals or we will have to play a playoff game,” Pocari Sweat-Air Force head coach Jasper Jimenez said in Filipino after the win at Filoil Flying V Centre.The game between BanKo-Perlas and PetroGazz, who are also still in the race, on June 27 will determine the outcome of the quarterfinal seedings. A win by Perlas Spikers will eliminate the Angels and give the Lady Warriors a seat in the semifinals.If the Angels win by three or four sets, they will advance automatically and force Banko-Perlas and Pocari Sweat to a playoff for the last spot.A five-set win for PetroGazz, meanwhile, will give BanKo-Perlas the semis spot and leave the Angels and Pocari Sweat-Air Force jousting for the last spot instead.The Lady Warriors hammered the Fighting Warays with 47 kills. They also outclassed Tacloban in blocks, 12-2.Arielle Love spearheaded Pocari Sweat-Air Force with 16 points while Madeline Palmer followed suit with 15 markers.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Pocari Sweat-Air Force thumped also-ran Tacloban, 25-22, 25-17, 25-20, to stay in the running for a semifinals berth in the Premier Volleyball League Reinforced Conference.ADVERTISEMENT Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan View comments
…unearths cocaineAn 18-hour long operation conducted on a house at Blue Sackie Drive, South Ruimveldt, Georgetown, by members of the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) has led to the arrest of the son-in-law of a popular businessman, who was gunned down in 2002.A portion of the cocaine that was discovered at the suspect’s houseAccording to reports received, drug enforcement officers unearthed 514g of cocaine during their operation. However, there were reportedly traces of cocaine residue discovered in various parts of the house.Guyana Times was told that based on evidence at the scene, the 40-year-old man who is the son-in-law of executed businessman Errol “Taps” Butcher attempted to flush the illicit drug down the toilet.As such, ranks were able to break the PVC pipe leading to the septic tank and retrieved a small quantity of the suspected drug.Additional information received revealed that the CANU ranks also seized several vehicles belonging to the alleged drug trafficker. The man, who is originally from Albouystown, Georgetown, recently moved into the house with his wife and five children.Guyana Times could not verify if the man’s wife and children were at home during the raid which started at about 15:00h on Friday and ended on Saturday. CANU has been monitoring the man’s movement for quite some time, this newspaper was told.He is expected to be charged shortly. In the past week, a Craig Street, Campbellville, Georgetown couple was taken into custody following the discovery of over one kilogram of cocaine in their home.It was reported that ranks of the drug enforcement unit swopped down on the property on Tuesday where they conducted a search during which the cocaine was discovered.Upon the discovery, the owners of the home, Andre Gomes, also called “Zipper” and his wife were arrested and are expected to be charged shortly. In addition, a quantity of cash, jewellery and other valuables were seized by the CANU ranks.Gomes was later charged and remanded to prison until February 13.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “I can’t help but think that this kind of hard drive would become a standard issue on corporate laptops,” said Dave Reinsel, a storage industry analyst at market research firm IDC. Seagate’s DriveTrust technology differs from existing security options, which usually include placing firewalls around computer networks and installing encryption software on systems. The new technology is embedded directly in the hard drive – the computer’s storehouse of data. It requires users to have a key, or password, before being able to access the disk drive or boot up the machine. Without the password, the hard drive would be useless, Seagate officials said. Seagate teamed with security software provider Wave Systems Corp. to add an additional layer of tools to make the systems easier for corporations to manage the new kind of security technology. SAN JOSE – Seagate Technology LLC, the world’s largest hard drive maker, announced Monday the first manufacturer to sell laptop PCs with its new built-in encryption technology. The hard drives, to be available in laptops made by ASI Computer Technologies, will include a chip that makes it impossible for anyone to read data off the disk, or even boot up a PC, without some form of authentication. ASI, which manufactures laptops under its own brand and builds systems for lesser-known PC makers, is expected to put the new technology in its machines within a few months. Other major PC makers are expected to introduce computers with Seagate’s secure hard drives later this year. Lost or stolen employee laptops have cost businesses and government agencies millions of dollars and hurt their credibility, while putting the sensitive information in the hands of identity thieves and other criminals. Dozens of states require businesses to encrypt computer data.
However, both City Manager Diane Hunter and Councillor Gord Klassen argued that the services would likely continue, and that those interested in attending would bear the increases. “It is certain individuals who enjoy the specific events like that,” says Klassen. “I think a minimal increase in ticket prices will continue to bring those people there and pay the increased cost to these organizations.”City Council was presented with options for both a one-year and three-year phase-in plan, and requested that staff come back with the numbers for a five-year phase-in plan in August. If approved, users would be provided one year’s notice, and the recalculated fees would come into effect on September 1, 2014. The City aims to use a benefits based approach to fees, so that those who benefit from a service pay in proportion to what they receive. Director of Community Services Sarah Cockerill explained in a presentation to council that calculating the total cost to provide a space over a year by projecting future costs instead of averaging past years would mean less of a jump for users when costs are reviewed later on. However, because previous costs were done historically, some were left out in the previous bylaw, so fees may increase between zero and 300 per cent to “catch up”. “We didn’t include some parking lot maintenance, say at the [Pomeroy Sport Centre],” Cockerill gives as an example. “Now that everything is in there, this type of spike should level off; it should just generally be the annual increases.” – Advertisement -Other proposed changes would see users that block off access to a facility and charge admission, like the Fort St. John Huskies and Senior Flyers at the North Peace Arena, lose their subsidies. The Huskies currently receive a 75 per cent youth non-profit subsidy for the 21 or so games they host a year, while the Flyers receive a 50 per cent adult non-profit subsidy for the around 10 games they play at home. Since they block public access and charge cover that only benefits their club, under the revised bylaw they would be classified as private fundraising use and not receive a subsidy. Both hockey teams have noted their displeasure with the change. Advertisement “The notable comment was from the Flyers. They acknowledge that the 50 per cent subsidies for practice times is valuable, and they’re not excited about the increase but have indicated they understand,” says Cockerill. “The Huskies are not happy about the increase and have not commented further. The Huskies have indicated this would be a hardship and would like to know their alternatives to the increase.” Councillor Bruce Christensen added that in conversation he’s had with a member of the Huskies, they would prefer the cost to be phased in to allow for the adjustment of ticket prices, while it was also noted that the Energetic City Roller Derby Association has expressed their understanding of the increase, as they would also be affected. Councillor Byron Stewart shared his concern that the increased fees might hinder groups like those from providing what he calls a “service” to the community, through public events and representing the city on their travels.“They are operating in such a way that they are attracting our citizens for evenings of entertainment. They are providing a service that way,” he maintains. “Without those events we are eliminating one of the general enjoyable aspects of living in a northern community.” Advertisement
OTTAWA, O.N. – Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr doesn’t expect a decision on Pacific Northwest LNG until September.In an article posted by the Canadian Press, they quote Carr said the Liberal government’s decision will “likely to be some time after the 15th of September.”The Liberal Government has said they would issued a decision 90 days after the proponent submits new information the Federal Government requested back in March.- Advertisement -“I’m making an assumption about when Petronas will put its final papers in to CEAA. I expect those papers soon,” Carr told the Canadian Press.“I expect a decision before the end of September — unless for reasons I don’t know about today, there is significant delay in the filing of the final application to the regulator.”The $36-billion project by Petronas has been under an environmental assessment since April 2013. The assessment is supposed to be only 365 days long, but the CEAA has paused that assessment several times asking for Petronas for new information about the project.Advertisement
Erik Lamela scored what will surely be the goal of the season with an outrageous ‘rabona’ against Asteras Tripolis on Thursday night.But it wasn’t the first time the Spurs man has pulled off this particular trick.Just look at him in action for his first club, River Plate.
10 Out: Roberto Firmino (Liverpool): £8.2m – Click the right arrow for more advice – This isnt as odd as it sounds, we promise. Youll need as many players in action as possible this weekend. Drop the Brazilian for one week and get him back in your team in seven days time. Itll be worth it. 10 Out: Diego Costa (Chelsea): £10.8m – Click the right arrow for more advice – The Spain striker wont be playing in the Premier League this weekend and with a hefty price tag is a good player to drop. 10 In: Erik Lamela (Tottenham): £6.8m – Click the right arrow for more advice – Spurs will take on Aston Villa hoping to get their title bid back on track. Lamela was on the bench against Dortmund so should start at Villa Park, while Christian Eriksen may not after playing in Germany. Hes been featuring more on free-kicks and corners lately so could grab an assist or a goal. 10 Out: Jose Fonte (Southampton): £5.6m – Click the right arrow for more advice – A red card last week means the Saints star needs to be dropped, especially in a week where every man counts due to the number of games being played. Out: Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal): £7.9m – Click the right arrow for more advice – The Gunners’ star has no game this weekend and picked up an injury in their 4-0 FA Cup win against Hull City, which makes him the perfect man to be swapped out. In: Sergio Aguero (Manchester City): £13.6m – Click the right arrow for more advice – We recommend doing all you can to get the Argentine striker into your side. Not only is he set to face Norwich but he will soon be involved in a double gameweek with one of the matches coming against Newcastle. 10 10 In: Gylfi Sigurdsson (Swansea City): £7.2m – Click the right arrow for more advice – For the same reasons as Ashley Williams, the Icelandic star, who has recently returned to form is an excellent pick for the weekends action. 10 10 In: Raheem Sterling (Manchester City): £8.5m – Click the right arrow for more advice – Both for the weekend, and for the future, bringing in Sterling is good idea. He grabbed six points last weekend against Aston Villa and could get a similar haul against Norwich, and possibly more. In: Ashley Williams (Swansea City): £4.9m – Click the right arrow for more advice – Already one of the top scoring defenders available, the Wales centre-back is a good option considering the Jacks now face Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Stoke. Williams is also a good alternative to Charlie Daniels, who many managers have chosen. Out: Eden Hazard (Chelsea): £10.8m – Click the right arrow for more advice – The Blues clash with Liverpool is postponed due to their FA Cup tie with Everton, so dropping their players isnt a bad move. The Belgian limped out of the Blues Champions League defeat to Paris Saint-Germain, too, so could miss further matches as well. With FA Cup clashes this weekend, there are only five Premier League matches to grab points from in Gameweek 30.You will definitely be without key stars as Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool, amongst others won’t be in action, but don’t panic, with a couple of tweaks you can keep your title bids on track.Given two of the fixtures are Norwich v Manchester City and Aston Villa v Tottenham, you’ll want to load up on Blues and Spurs stars.And it also may be wise to use an extra transfer – even if it does cost you four points the rewards could be handsome.Meanwhile, it may be a good time to start reorganising your side ahead of some huge games in hand, which will see Man City take on Newcastle.So, click the right arrow above to find out our Fantasy Premier League predictions for Gameweek 30… 10 10